5 things… I could go on but I think you get the point…
- I was picking up our duvet cover at the dry cleaner this week when the female owner, who is always very nice and remembers every detail of my life from visit to visit, asked me if I was using enough oil on my belly. I was a bit taken aback. She said “are you itchy?” I said that I wasn’t and then she asked if I was using oil on my belly. I said that I was to which she said, “Enough? Multiple times a day?” I half nodded. She said, “It will prevent the stretch marks and no one wants those!”. Umm, thank you?
- Yesterday I went into Carter’s to buy a set of long-sleeve white Newborn onesies. I now own every size from 0-12 months in the white onesie (be jealous). The great thing that I didn’t even know was great is that they don’t have a return policy! I could return those newborn onesies in 6 months if I want to (unworn and with a receipt, obviously). That is some serious goodness that I didn’t know I wanted / needed in my life. When I was there I asked the sales associate what babies typically sleep in during the summer months (I have asked pretty much every mother-like figure I have encountered in the last 2 months). I was amazed when 2 other Moms came up and expressed their opinion and then followed me around the store to show me what to buy. That was both helpful and awkward. I suspect this is the rest of my life.
- I have been to Buy Buy Baby no less than 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Purchasing, returning, exchanging…I don’t even particularly like the store (I mean they are super helpful and nice but it’s not like it’s Anthropologie for goodness sake!). When I was there the last time I had a thought… “oh, it will be nice to bring the baby here to just get out of the house and walk around….” WHAT?! Buy Buy Baby is my new normal. No.
- I can no longer wear regular shoes. Well, I can, but not comfortably. Or attractively. That didn’t stop me from buying a pair of shoes that my cute and fashion forward cousin was wearing this weekend in the hopes that I don’t always have cankles. Hey, if I am going to Buy Buy Baby I should at least look cute!
- I don’t think that we have run a non baby related errand in weeks. Even the talk of going to Costco this weekend is to “stock up before baby” (in case we never leave the house again) and to “print photos for the baby collage”.
My new normal is starting to look a little, umm…. different?